Saturday, February 6, 2010

This is an exclusive TV offer...

You know when you get in those funks of life and you just listen to the same 3 songs and think "oh this depressing music is the sound track of my soul?" I don't know, maybe that never happens to you. But, I know for me that happens frequently enough and I most definitely have a go-to playlist for such occasions. I can tell that when I start to play any one of these songs my roommates all cringe because it means that for the next week, give or take a few days, all I will incessantly do is listen to the same stuff and try and sort out my future.

So in this once in a lifetime offer, I'm giving you this lovely sneak peak into the playlist of my bouts of soul searching. I won't pretend it's great or original, but it works for me and gets me through sucky weeks and then I can go back to listening to Lady GaGa, Matt Maher or Beyonce, you know, the classics...

1) Missy Higgins "Where I Stood" Does this woman subconsciously live my life too? Hmm, maybe that's why she wrote this beautiful little masterpiece.
2) Vanessa Cartlon "Who's to Say?" Pure poetry, that's it.
3) The Rescues "Break Me Out" Title says it all? Plus, it was in Grey's Anatomy which makes it so much greater.
4) Gavin DeGraw "Belief"
5) Indie.Arie "The Heart of the Matter" Remake that is completely better then the original, I think she is legit pouring her heart into this song.
6) Jack's Mannequin "We Were Made for Each Other/You Can Breathe Now" Can you have a love affair with a song, because I do with this one. Makes me think of how hard I though my life was when I was 16.
7) The Script "Breakeven" This is radio song I didn't want to love, but when it comes on I can't help but sing along
8) John Mayer "Heartbreak Warfare" I think this song is straight up musical genius.
9) Lisa Loebs "I Do" 90's bliss all in one song.
10) Pricilla Ahn "Dream" This is the sleepiest song ever but I feel like it's just moseying along telling a great story.

Reason for doing this? I don't even know because I'm not in a sulky mood lately, but I have been listening to all this, probably because even outside of being fitting for bouts of self-pity it's all genuinely great music. I've also been Pandora's number 1 fan lately since they have been consistently reading my mind and playing every great song under the sun in the last few weeks.

If tomorrow Time Life, the company that creates all those fabulous compilation CD sets, was to approach me and say "we want to make an infomercial with washed up celebrities trying to sell a CD set with the music you love most on it, hoping sleepy Americans who watch TV at 2:30 a.m. will buy it," first of all I would definitely say yes because once they've made the soundtrack to your life, you know you've made it big. Second, these songs would all be on it.

1 comment:

Steven Carrier said...

My jacks mannaquin song was dark blue.