So New Year, new goals/resolutions? Not really.
I like the person who I was last year, I want to be better and I do want to change, but I feel so selfish about making resolutions to lose ten pounds or be nicer to people I admittedly hate. What I do wish for myself this year is to do more for others then I do for me. Like the kids I tutor or the growing AIDS population in Camden, New Jersey (don't ask how I knew that.)
I have heard countless times that I'm a "giver", which consequencely means I should take some time and give back to myself. I'm not super interested in that.
I couldn't sleep last night because I have the grossiest sinus infection and I was laying there thinking about how I;
1. I want to work at the United Nations and basically be Nicole Kidman in the Interpreter.

2. And I want to read to some illiterate Polish kids.

3. Shake Mariska Hargitay's hand because she saves

all those raped women in Law and
Order SVU. Even though it's TV, it's still so, so great.
4. Build a house in Jamaica.

and then there are some less noble plans like,
5. Eat a cupcake from Buttercup Cakes New York. (They look so good!)

6. Learn to sail a boat.

Okay, so I might have some long term goals. And some serious saving to do so I can afford a trip to Poland, those cupcakes (I heard they were expensive) and building materials. Whatever, I am going to have a great year, giving away left and right trying to be a better person for others and maybe along the way I'll drop ten pounds too.
2 comments:
Liz, you can actually shake Mariska's hand for saving survivors of rape and violence. Check out her foundation here www.joyfulheartfoundation.org
For the life of me, where do Americans get this misconception that Jamaicans live in shacks? The houses Jamaicans live in are comparable to some of those Malibu houses even living in the ghetto. They live rent and mortgage free because they built their own houses from scrap and with their own hands, they don't have to pay $1500 a month for a studio they can barely turn in.
My cousin was in Jamaica this summer building simple two family homes all around Kingston. Many of the people were coming from literally slums and were so grateful to just have running water.
I'm sure you're absolutely right that not every Jamaican lives in a shack, but some definitely do. I think the worst thins personally, is the drastic difference between the richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor.
Post a Comment