Even if you can't say in your own life, that 100% of the time you feel totally in love with every aspect of your world, and our larger world, you can at least say there are people, things, your pet, a song or your favorite cake that you will always love no matter how crumby you feel.
I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert right now, and I absolutely love this book. This woman is a shear genius for combining 3 things I know I love, plus infusing it with her love of travel and her love to learn and inquire; sure-fire page turner. Anyways, reading this book has been fantastic and I just never want to put it down and I keep re-reading things over and over because I don't want to forget anything, it's that good.
She started out not really knowing too much about what she did love and knew it was important if she ever wanted to get all her shit together that she knew herself and the things she cared about. She discovered that it's a process that isn't easy and I think I like most her honesty in that sometimes you start off hating the things you make yourself do, only to love them at the end because they become a part of you.
It's never easy to be like "I love every part of myself, my body is just the way I want it, I love the grades I get, I have the best relationships, I make perfect chocolate souffle, my attitude is always positive and full of sunshine." And honestly who does think that, anyone in this world? Because if so they're just trying to rival God, I think. We don't need to love every inch of ourselves down to our toes or be happy everyday like we take Prozac.
Other things besides love most likely could fix this ugly mess our world is in (unlimited tacos/chocolate chip cookies, more seriously, money and good leadership) but the tangible thing that we already have the ability to work on is compassion. Just doing good actions for others (and ourselves) because we mean to.
When I was in 6th grade each week were were assigned to do a certain number of "RAK"'s, Random Acts of Kindness. Not so random when you're assigned to do them, but fantastic effort Mr. Rassmussen. I'm all for kindness, but I think it should be a little bit more deliberate. Elizabeth Gilbert and her book, while is definitely about good pizza, is more importantly about good relationships, good living and deliberately good love. And I have to say, from one Liz to another, bravo, because all we really do need, is love.
No comments:
Post a Comment