Monday, March 23, 2009

Let's go to the movies...

So, the economy is down the shitter, AIG and the world of investment banking is out to perpetually screw America, ridiculous Twilight and the crazy Octo-mom are dominating the rest of the scene. Ugh, what is this world coming to?..

What's really funny is how even though the economy sucks, and people are equating this time period to a modern day depression, Americans will never cease to love and make time for the movies. In January more people went to the movies then ever before in the history of the United States. Movies must become all the more enjoyable during times like now when for 9 bucks you can spend two hours laughing or caught up in somebody else's life. And in all honesty, I really like that idea.
In my house, when I was a kid it's always been a treat to go to the movies since my parents aren't big fans. My dad loves classical, foreign and old horror films while my mom loves musicals, comedies and historical romances (aka. her fav movie, Gone With the Wind.) So because of this we didn't go to the movies too much, so now I love being able to go as an "adult." And this all made me think a bit about the movies (good/bad) that I've seen lately, and it's fair to say the standards of films may have gone down,  just a little or alot.

-He's Just Not That Into You.  Originally I liked it, I really did. I thought about how all the women were able to have backbones by the end and really take responsibility for themselves. Then I had this revelation that for the other 90% of the movie when they weren't being responsible, they were really annoying. And actually, I'm embarrassed by their behavior. Word to the wise, most women do not act that stupid. And even still, this was like the #1 movie for about 16 thousand weeks, so clearly lots of people disagree with me.
-Slumdog Millionaire. Hi, I am in love with this movie. Not only was it filmed and written so well, but I was never bored, I loved every ounce of the story and it was casted perfectly.  This film was worthy of it's Academy Award and I really would go see it again and again.
-Hancock (rented it) Lame. Ugh, I really like Will Smith so I wanted to like this movie. But it was a major failure. The story maybe could have been good, but it wasn't really acted very well and everything about it seemed so cheesy.  But people still flocked to see this, so maybe I'm all wrong.
-Eagle Eye (rented it) Probably I'm biased because I like Shia LaBeouf so much, but I did really like this movie. I thought the plot was really interesting and plausible. I thought it might have been a little bit predictable, but in a good way. I thought Shia's acting was top-notch, but i might be his biggest fan, so don't take me that seriously. 
And, I'm going to avoid saying anything about the fact that I rented  High School Musical 3 and watched it with my sister. Well, I will say it was a waste of two hours of my life that I will never get back.

If I can recommend anything, I would say enjoy each of these with a bag of gummy bears, I like the white ones best.

No comments: